The Webless Initiative |
Rules: Friends /
Mailing List |
The Friends of Webless
The Webless Rules for validated pages
This is our planned list of tests and guidelines. All this is subject to
change, according to developer and user discussion.
Errors. Failing these tests means the site doesn't belong on the
- CSS is not allowed.
- Any kind of scripting is not allowed.
- Embedded objects (other than images) are not allowed.
- All images have to have a valid ALT tag.
- Pixel unit size settings (such as for table cell size) are not allowed,
except for image size.
- Only generic font faces are allowed (such as serif, sans-serif, or monospace).
- IFRAMEs are not allowed.
- Keyword lists in the HTML HEAD, or any other kind of "search optimizing"
are not allowed.
- Animated gifs as a background image are not allowed.
Warnings. Tests meant for guidance; however, failing more than a
preset number (planned 8) of these tests will also mean not passing the
- Existence of tags that are commonly only used as CSS targets: DIV and SPAN.
- "Too much" image content (this will be checked as a ratio of image size
or number of images against text content size).
- Animated gifs.
- Image maps or submit images.
- Tag content per text content ratio (tags with no text, like IMG, don't count).
So for instance using a different FONT tag for each letter of a word is
- All FORMs have to have a submit button or image.
- Background images.
- More than N (planned 8) different colors used in a single page.
- More than N (planned 2) cookies.
- More than N (planned 3 months) cookie expiry time.
Manual check. These tests might be hard to test automatically,
but may be checked manually.
- Error: Invisible text, or other "search optimizing".
- Error: More than 1 traffic counter gadget (such as a small transparent gif).
- Error: Using images (such as transparent gifs) for spacers for a pixel-based layout.
- Error: User Agent check (presented content must be independent of the User Agent value)
- Error: Existence of a remote traffic counter gadget (e.g. google analytics).
- Error: Existence social media gadgets - facebook likes, tweets, "share this link", etc.
- Warning: Existence of a local traffic counter gadget.